Sunday, December 04, 2005

no one who grew up in India, after the 1970's, will really know the meaning of romance. that was a sense of romance carried through the air of Vividh Bharti, from the pens of aging song writers of the Hindi film world; a sense of romance brought on by the imposition of emergency and India's miraculously dramatic recovery. these were the days when telephone connections and cooking gas was rare, and Amitabh Bachan stimulated a sense of angst that held the country together.
today, as i grow old, and watch young kids holding hands in the bazaar; as the bazaar gives way to malls; as everything becomes a calculation of EMI, there is no romance left in life.
sometimes, this realization hits me so strongly, i see little value in living in such a world.
yet, we still can savour the frisson of middle-aged marriages, though we may survive to see their decline as well.
if you ever, wonder about the name of my blog, it's simply a promise that i'll post when i'm drunk.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Romance today is more on-the-face type, rather than subtle.

Even I haven't grew up in seventies as I was still in my nappies, but even today when I observe the symbols of 70s, be it movies, singers, writers whatever - it has to be the golden era of our recent history of the country.

I wish I was there.

Ashish Gupta said...

I'll be waiting for you to get drunk ;-)

Jokes apart, first timer here- came thru' a frnd's blog to manish's and then to yours :) love your way of writing! keep going. it makes a good read.
oh and captivating name! wondering what inspired that name - hence saying i'll be waiting - you'll drink 'n blog someday!